4.13.2008

Book Review: TWEAK by Nic Sheff



TWEAK: growing up on methamphetamines
by Nic Sheff

I originally heard about his book while listening to Fresh Air with Terri Gross on my local NPR station. (If you have never heard the show Fresh Air, Terri interviews a wide range of people and sometimes it is very interesting.)

Anyway, back to the book. This is a memoir written by Nic Sheff about his experiences while taking a variety of hard drugs, and the constant struggle to get off them. This book is crazy. It's scary and sad. I have known people who have done these types of drugs, but I never got close enough to actually see what it is like.

The author began his experiences with drugs and alcohol at age 11. Today, he is only 25. After reading this book, I don't see how he isn't dead.

He just put up a website which you can find at www.nicsheff.com to read a little more about him.

Coming up, I will be reading David Sheff's book: Beautiful Boy: a father's journey through his son's meth addiction. After reading the son's memoir, it will be interesting - and as a parent, terrifying - to read how it was for his dad.







No comments: